A lot has happened within the first three months of 2011, and after the next two, it will be three years since the fateful day of the crash caused by me. Maybe this is the reason for so much reflection recently… I honestly thought I’d have done more to not only help someone like the old me from driving under the influence and maiming their own life, or more importantly, from destroying someone else’s. From killing a stranger, while simultaneously changing the lives of their loved ones and inflicting unimaginable pain.
Don’t get me wrong, I’ve told my story over and over and over, I’ve stressed how what I did was preventable. How there are warning signs for being an alcoholic:
- Obsession with the next drink, when it’s a focal point within
- Not being able to take it or leave it.
- Medical and/or criminal repercussions caused by drinking
- Getting drunk while drinking more often then not
- Continuing to drink, even when there are negative consequences
And how there is so much help out there:
- Alcoholics Anonymous – www.aa.org
- The Big Book – http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline/en_tableofcnt.cfm
- Recovery from a Christian perspective – http://www.celebraterecovery.com/
- Seattle AA meeting Directory – http://www.seattleaa.org
- Misc information – http://www.alcoholtreatmenthelp.org/
- Treatment Center – http://www.lakesidemilam.com/
My history doesn’t have to be repeated, and I pray that it won’t…
It’s time to fully retire this blog, over the next few weeks I’m going to post a few literary items I’ve received from a friend I made within the State’s Penitentiary, he is still there, with a few more years remaining on his robbery sentence. In addition, I’ve found a few little snippets from within my prison journal that I’ve found an appreciation for, I hope you may find them somewhat read worthy as well.
Recently I’ve began contributing to a new blog to signify a new beginning, and by the end of my last post here, I will link the two together…. I hope this has been a source of either, increased perspective, laughter, tears, self awareness, avoidance, or maybe even a little bit of all , along side others just as important. I hope this post finds all who read it well… and if I doesn’t, don’t give up, only press forward.
If this is your first time visiting this blog, or you’ve just never read the About page, please click here to take a look.